September 03, 2009

update on Sean at Boot camp~

I last talked to Sean on Monday evening. He had tried Sunday, but we were at the lake
and I missed his call. It had been exactly one week since I talked to him. We had never gone that long before! He said he had a really nice Drill Sergeant who snuck him into an office to let him make the call. Sean is the only one who's been able to make a call because of his circumstance with a new baby coming. He wanted to see if I had Stetson yet and to make sure I was going to call Red Cross to have them notify him. It was so great to hear his voice and know that he's doing well. He had a couple horrible stories about some other men and women. But said that he hadn't drawn any attention to himself yet. I guess as soon as he stepped foot off the bus the yelling began. All he could think was "I love my JESUS" to drown out all the vulgar. They are telling everyone, it doesn't matter what your recruiter told you, or what job you have, you are ALL going to war. I am just telling myself that they have to be mentally prepared for the worst. So they all have to believe that. This is the ONLY training they get for fighting and must be ready at all times. They even have to carry their M-16 rifle with them wherever they go.. even to shower or use the rest room. He was excited to tell me that when they were issued their rifles they had to take them apart and put them back together as fast as they could. Sean was one of the two fastest guys out of 45 men and women. He did it in 2 min. 16 seconds the first time and even faster the next day. He said that was pretty fun. They don't seem to have much down time... in the evening he has about 15 or 20 minutes before bed to shower, read and maybe write a letter. I've received one letter so far.

They stand a lot.... his knee is still bothering him. He's thinking about having it looked at.. he said he can run fine but when they stand in formation for so long it hurts and if he has to squat or anything like that it's pretty painful. Please pray for healing on his knee.

I have comfort in knowing that the Lord is with him and he is so strong, courageous and firm in his faith. He knows he'll do well.. and so do I! I've wondered if we made the right choice.. but I have no doubt in my mind now that even IF he has to go to war, the Lord will take care of him. Sean will fight this war for Jesus, with Jesus at his side!


Psalm 91
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."
Surely he will save you from the fowlers snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge;
His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousnd may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
You will only observe with your eyes and see
the punishment of the wicked.
If you make the Most High your dwelling-
even the Lord, who is my refuge-
then no harm will befall you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
for he wil command his angels concerning you to guard
you in all your ways;
they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not
strike your foot against a stone.
You will tread upon the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
"Because he Loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledes my name.
He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble.
I will deliver him and honor him.
with long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation."

3 comments:

  1. AMEN... To the Highest Power!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about that "everyone's going to war" comment. It's just a mind game to prepare them for the worst possible scenerio. Besides, it's statiscally impossible that every person in his company would be going to war. They told my son Paul that too, then they shipped him to Hawaii:) Norm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Tell Sean not to lock his knees when standing at attention for long periods. It cuts back blood circulation and may make his knee hurt more. Try to bend them just a little while standing. That worked for me anyway.

    ReplyDelete