January 10, 2013

Homeschooling blues....

OK, well sort of. But here's my question.  How do YOU as a homeschooling Mom keep it fun?? Lately I feel like the wicked witch of the North. Always harping and always punishing. I still reward but it's a fight to get there some days.

My son Colton is very active. Pretty sure the public school would label him ADD. BUT I don't agree with that and have found that since we live in the country where he can totally be a BOY and run off all his energy in the wide open spaces that his attention span has already grown! I am not one to like to use bribes but of course I do.  What have you found that helps with your sons to keep them motivated and WANTING to learn.

Here's what's happened for us lately. Not sure if it's right or wrong but seem to be working.

For reading, instead of making him sit at the table with my all seeing eyes watching every move. I have begun to let him wonder. What I mean by this is... he will take his reading book to the living room or the spot of his choice and read it ALL alone! Even if he makes a few mistakes.. it seem like he is getting through the pages so much faster.  I tell him if it's a hard one to tell me part of it and then I'll jump in to help him sound it out. But for the most part he hasn't asked for help very much, since I am letting him do this on his own. The last two days his subject of choice has been reading.  Is it because I've let him have some freedom? Does he now feel more confident?

He is in first grade and is 6  years old. His attention span has grown 110% from last year. But he still can be so distracted.  Last week was tough cause we had to play some catch up. That really frustrated him. If we are on schedule and he only has to do one days requirement he can get everything done super fast and in about 2 hours time. Of course on project days it takes longer but that's usually fun anyway.

But my main question is- What are some things YOU do for your boys and girls to make class FUN? And what motivates your children?

I do try to give him treats or special privileges.  And I always encourage that if he focus' he can have fun and play the whole rest of the day!  That is his big thing... he just wants to play!  I've noticed as well that if the other two kids are out of sight he does so much better.  I don't always do school with all of them at the same time as that is also very distracting at this point. I like to work with Carley in the evenings. 

Thanks!

I took him by surprise with this picture.. :p


No comments:

Post a Comment