So, I was going to post a status on facebook about how proud I am of Colton for finishing his Kindergarten book today. But then realized this is the kind of thoughts that I really need to blog about.
Colton was barely 5 when I started homeschooling him. I've always been excited about starting Kindergarten with my kids. But until you sit down every day with your child and work on letters, sounds, phonics etc..you don't realize how quickly they learn and how easy it is to teach them. Within the first couple lessons they are putting sounds together and then with in weeks, it's sentences and then a few months go by and they are reading whole 5 paragraph stories. No he's not reading perfect! But he's got a great start! We just finished the book "how to teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons" It's a great start to reading and writing. I've already picked up a few little books for him and we will continue to do flash cards. I'm hoping to find some really good books that actually interest him and are about things that he loves and has passions about. That way, hopefully the stories will hold his attention. I'm pretty sure most 5 year old's have a short attention span.. but all kids are different and I've found that what works best with Colton is to let him do one subject and then take a break and let him play. I usually like to clean and get things done during that time. Then we sit back down at the table and work on a new subject. Each Subject usually only takes 15 to 20 minutes or so. Which is perfect for him. Anyway.. I just want to say, It's really been an enjoyable experience watching him improve every day. I truly enjoy teaching him and look forward to teaching Carley to read. She does some preschool stuff but now that he's done with the reading book I plan to start her on it soon as well. She seems to have a longer attention span than him and is eager to learn. If your child is having trouble reading (even in the public school) I suggest getting this book and helping him/her at home on your own time. It really has been a great book and they seem to progress quickly.
Colton was barely 5 when I started homeschooling him. I've always been excited about starting Kindergarten with my kids. But until you sit down every day with your child and work on letters, sounds, phonics etc..you don't realize how quickly they learn and how easy it is to teach them. Within the first couple lessons they are putting sounds together and then with in weeks, it's sentences and then a few months go by and they are reading whole 5 paragraph stories. No he's not reading perfect! But he's got a great start! We just finished the book "how to teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons" It's a great start to reading and writing. I've already picked up a few little books for him and we will continue to do flash cards. I'm hoping to find some really good books that actually interest him and are about things that he loves and has passions about. That way, hopefully the stories will hold his attention. I'm pretty sure most 5 year old's have a short attention span.. but all kids are different and I've found that what works best with Colton is to let him do one subject and then take a break and let him play. I usually like to clean and get things done during that time. Then we sit back down at the table and work on a new subject. Each Subject usually only takes 15 to 20 minutes or so. Which is perfect for him. Anyway.. I just want to say, It's really been an enjoyable experience watching him improve every day. I truly enjoy teaching him and look forward to teaching Carley to read. She does some preschool stuff but now that he's done with the reading book I plan to start her on it soon as well. She seems to have a longer attention span than him and is eager to learn. If your child is having trouble reading (even in the public school) I suggest getting this book and helping him/her at home on your own time. It really has been a great book and they seem to progress quickly.
These two play together so well! I usually just have to send them
to their bedroom to play while I work with Colton.
I'm so thankful that I have a husband that likes to teach
our kids as well. He always takes the time to answer Colton's million
questions about everything in this world. He informed me the other day that
daddy's truck needs Diesel NOT gas and asked me if the Gas station we drove by
had diesel or not. He's such a little man. I think he knows more about dad's truck than I do :)
No comments:
Post a Comment