February 23, 2012

Bonding with Children

 I just have to share that Stetson is completely and finally adjusted to having his daddy home from deployment. It took 6 months!  But he has stopped asking for ME all the time! He cuddles with his daddy and is completely content in his arms not matter what time of day! I am so happy to finally witness the end product of their bonding period. It is truly a blessing to see this after they have had so much separation. When he was 2 years old they had only been together 5 months of his life... now at 2 1/2 I can say they've had 11 months together.. almost a year! WHOO HOO.   If you have kids and a husband, don't take any of your time together for granted!  Bonding is such an important part of life for these little lives! But remember if you don't, that our heavenly father is the Father to the Fatherless! Seek Him first in raising your kids and teach them about HIS love. The Bible says that if we teach them about the Lord, when they are older, they will not depart from him. Pray and ask for guidance in EVERYTHING you do with your children!

Also,  I've made it a habit with my kids to try and talk to them in the car and also at night before bed. Ask them about their day, even if they are only one or two years old. I believe this is one reason my kids have learned to talk and communicate so well at a young age. Of course we talk throughout the day.. these are special times.  Even if you only ask them yes and no questions.  This has been a key thing for my kids bonding as well. It lets them express their feelings and makes them feel confident in knowing that they have your undivided attention! They feel worthy and important when we take this extra time with them. I try to do it one on one.  I don't do it as often as I'd like.  But this is one reason I've let Stetson sleep with Sean and I more then the other two. He didn't have as much bonding time since Sean was gone. I mean he did with me... but he still needed that extra attention with only one parent for so long! I am just so grateful that he's come so far. Carley as well. She went through a period of time when Stetson was born while Sean was gone, where she had the short end of the stick. She didn't like to cuddle with me, She was holding a grudge. She still gets in the those moods. But recently she's been asking for attention in such a better way than she used to. She use to throw more fits. (partly she's just maturing with age) But lately, I'm hearing "I love you" a lot more!  She's been sitting on my lap and cuddling, way more than she used to and she's enjoying combing my hair and just being around me more!  I've also started giving her little jobs like unloading the dishwasher and just letting her help me with things that are kinda fun.  When I fold clothes she enjoys folding wash cloths and matching socks!  This seems to help her feel important too and that boosts her confidence a lot! I think just having her Daddy home now for 6 months and realizing he's not leaving again is HUGE in her life. Colton has been great!  He had really good bonding with Sean before he ever left and has just understood a lot more.


No comments:

Post a Comment